My TV is glued to CNN. I mean, after kids go to bed of course. The tornado in Oklahoma today has shaken me over the past hour, since I got on facebook and saw some posts about it. You know what gets me, right? The same thing that gets everybody – the school. Yet it pulls at you a little more when you are a teacher.
School can make us crazy. Yes, it’s this cute little elementary school. Kids are adorable, it’s so much fun! And then, sometimes it’s just NOT. Because, you know, it is WORK. 26 little bodies who depend on me, for everything, for 7.5 hours. Oh sometimes they make me crazy. Sometimes I feel like I’m not doing the best I can, I’m not giving them enough, I’m not being patient enough, yet they still look at me with those sparkling eyes and are happy and bubbly, and ready to know what’s next. They are non-stop, needy, and go, go, go.
But you know what? They’re babies. They are somebody’s babies. And while they’re there? They’re mine. They trust me completely. I know what those teachers felt. Protect the kids. Take care of the kids. Take care of MY kids.
If you are a parent, here’s how you can help your child’s teacher. Teach your children that when there’s an emergency, their ONLY job is to be QUIET and to listen to the teacher and follow directions. We have about 6 different “emergency” preparedness drills that we do, with different procedures. They’re hard for me to keep straight, let alone a first grader. Every time we have a drill they pull the “what ifs…” What if we’re outside? What if somebody knocks on our door? What if there is a fire while there is a tornado? And what I always tell them is, “That’s my job. All you have to do is be quiet.”
I really, really do not want another reason to watch CNN anytime in the near future, unless it is for some amazingly happy event. Thinking of everyone affected by these sad, sad events.
No comments:
Post a Comment