We’ve had a lot of that from Logan lately. For some reason there are pirates in closets and even turtles and frogs are scary (that last one might be my fault). So, when the sky started getting dark around 6:45 tonight, I was pretty sure we were in trouble. Bedtime is 7:30, and I was sure thunder would make it on the “I’m scared” list now.
I was right. We were doing our usual reading and rocking when it started. First it was just rain, and we talked through that. Then by the time I put him in his bed it was thundering. He right away said, “I’m scared.” And I settled down, thinking ugh, this is going to take a while, as I sat down beside his bed. Because there was no way I was leaving him to be upset when he was scared of thunder. Valid fear.
So I was thinking of all the things I needed to do, the show I wanted to watch, Aubrey needing to nurse. But then I put my head up next to his and looked at his little eyes looking at me, and I thought, “Thank you thunder.” Thank you for giving me the chance to get some extra snuggles. To feel those arms hugging my neck for dear life. To make my little guy feel a little bit better and protected.
Thank you thunder, for the reminder to stop and take a moment to savor each moment. Because they are always moving way too fast, that I know for sure.
What a powerful post. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete