Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The “Zoom”

This morning we went for our walk and I realized just how gorgeous it was outside. I mean, I had on a tank top and shorts and when we were at the playground at the end of our walk I had goose bumps from being a little chilly! So, I decided whatever we did on our morning adventure it certainly had to be outside.

We went to the Reston Zoo for the first time. I asked Logan if he wanted to go to the zoo and see animals and he immediately started saying, “The Zoom! The Zoom!” Um, okay, that sounds like more fun anyway! I’d never been, it’s just a tiny zoo in the middle of suburbia. Surprisingly, the animals still have a decent amount of room and are really well cared for. It’s big draw is a big petting zoo area where you can feed the animals. There’s also a wagon ride into the areas where the larger animals (ostriches, elands, zebras) are.

I knew Logan wasn’t going to like feeding the animals. I didn’t even buy any of the food because I knew it would be a waste. We ran into some friends and they tried to give him a little food – and he did it, but didn’t really like it. The goat that nearly ate my child’s hand found it quite tasty though!

But, while I suppose some people would say I should be getting Logan right in there, forcing him to go up to the animals, feed them, be exposed, etc…that’s just not me. I mean, isn’t a little bit of fear healthy? He was just fine walking about a foot away from their pens and waving to them (Other kids were practically in the pens, and the animals were practically jumping out to EAT THE FOOD!), he just wasn’t interested in going any closer. See? He liked the geese:

IMG_0218

Now, as the goose got closer he definitely came back towards me…but isn’t that a good thing? As in, thing with LARGE beak coming towards me, find mommy!!!

Logan definitely loved it though, and told daddy about all the animals tonight – here’s what he remembers: goats, sheep, ducks, monkeys, and bunnies. We are on a BIG bunny kick right now.

Only 3 more days left for adventures. Life’s going to seem pretty boring without our morning outings!

1 comment: