No, I promise I’m not pregnant. Or even close to trying to be pregnant (my husband just breathed a big sigh of relief reading this at work…hehe!). But one of my favorite bloggers, Blair, just recently did a post about how she has absolutely no baby fever. And it got me really thinking about how I feel about having another baby. I’m an only child. I never wanted to have just one, but honestly? N0w that I have just one I can totally see how people would be content with just one. I mean, the sleepless nights, the phases that you think are just phases but seem to never end (hello, 4:30 am wake ups!) - I can totally see not wanting to do that again.
Then I think of all the things that have happened during the past 22 months (seriously, 22 months ago I found out I was pregnant…bizarre), and I think, how could I never experience all that again? It’s no secret that as nervous as I was, I simply adored being pregnant. It was hands down, the healthiest I have ever been in my life. Growing a human being? It’s really an empowering experience.
And being Logan’s mommy? Well that’s just the best part…after loving being pregnant, I get to do that, be a mommy! Are there things I’d do differently the next time around? I don’t really know…are there things I’ll be forced to do differently because of another little one running around? Sure. But I know I won’t worry as much about naps on my shoulder (ahem, Logan did that until he was 6 months old…and he naps great now!). I know I’m fine being a human pacifier again…I loved nursing (well, after those first 6 weeks!). I know waking up in the middle of the night 6 times really stinks…but I also know it stops.
So do I have baby fever? I got a few little flutters at a recent baby shower for a coworker. And I got a few more when another coworker told me she was pregnant. But more than anything I wanted to say to them…CHERISH this. The next 22 months of your life are going to be going by so quickly.
I have a really hard time with moving forward, knowing things are over, etc…as in, I’ll never have another first pregnancy, I’ll never be home with just a newborn and my husband again…but then I remind myself that this is pretty great too…
A little boy who PLAYS and interacts and dances and babbles…reads books to himself, reads books in my lap…plays peek-a-boo with the shower curtain, hams it up for the camera…and yes, still needs me to rock him to sleep some nights.
And this being a mommy thing? Worth every sleepless night and moment of anxiety I’ve ever had. Without a doubt.
And that’s my sappiness for Monday. :)
Hi Mrs. Z. We don't know each other IRL but I post on the DC Area Bump board every so often. I just wanted to tell you that this post really resonated with me as an only child/first time Mommy & how much I really enjoy reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteAmen! It is worth every single sleepless night and moment of anxiety! With A's first birthday coming up, this has been on my mind a lot lately. I (like you) also have a hard time moving forward...but I just have to remember that the next stage is even more fun! I also wonder how we'll do it with a 2nd one, but can't imagine NOT going through it again!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion this whole baby thing is TOO great NOT to do again. That being said, now we're done!